Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Designated Heritage Properties



Christ Church and Cemetery

Christ ChurchBuilt in 1853-54. Christ Church was the first parish in the Village and is one of the oldest in the area. Colonel Samuel Strickland, one of the earliest and most prominent settlers in the district, was the man most responsible for the building of the church. The cemetery which closed in 1886, was the community burial ground. Church records indicate 108 burials were made.


59 Clementi Street

A simply constructed frame house built before 1869. The windows are four paned, two over two - with one curved window in the south-facing peak. The walls of one inch plank construction are overclad in clapboard. It is a storey and a half, with verandah on one side and porch on the other. Huge cedar beams with bark support the houses, with thick stone walls. Agnes Fitzgibbon Chamberlain lived here, owning the property from 1894-1913. A daughter of Susanna Moodie, she did the painting and lithographies for her Aunt Catherine Parr Traill's book, "Canadian Wildflowers", published in 1868. This gives the house a historical significance worthy of designation.


46 Queen Street West

46 Queen StreetThis two section L-shaped building, constructed between 1861 and 1864 was built on Lot 6, Queen Street West as laid out by Zaccheus Burnham in 1849. The building is typical of the construction trends of the mid 1800's. The façade on the Queen Street side shows one prominent second floor gable with a stable roof design. The main floor façade shows a five-window store front with recessed centre entrance above which is a narrow overhang. There is a separate house entrance covered by a plain pediment supported by two prominent brackets extending out over Queen Street. The five small one-over-one pane upstairs windows are typical of the period as is the one downstairs two-over-two pane window. The overall form, construction materials used, and outline of the entire building is in keeping with the hotel-boarding house-livery stable concept of the mid 1800's. The building was a landmark as it was located on a main downtown corner and was variously used as a hotel, tavern, livery stable, boarding house, coach stop, billiard hall, barber shop, fruit store and T.C. Yonge family grocery store. The building has been part and parcel of the history, architecture and life of the Village over the years and is a building worthy of its heritage designation.


33 Caroline Street

33 Caroline St.Caroline House was built circa 1874. It is a typical "Ontario House" of frame construction with clapboard siding, one and a half stories high with gable side facing the front. The façade is entirely symmetrical, with a central dormer. The porches, with turned classical revival columns, were a popular local style at the turn of the century. The designation does not include the interior.


The Pavilion


Lakefield PavillionBuilt in 1909, this pavilion was originally a wall less open structure used during the steamboat era as a waiting station for rail passengers transferring to the local steamboats. In the 1950's the building was enclosed and the Lakefield Sea Scouts formerly used it as their "Scout Ship".




Memorial Hall, Lakefield

Image of Memorial Hall in LakefieldThe property at 2 Queen Street in the Village of Lakefield, Ontario is worthy of designation under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act for its cultural heritage value or interest as an interpretation of the Classical Revival Style, which was very popular at the time of its construction in the early 20th century. The building represents the integration of important historical events with the daily function of Village life through its memorialization of those who served in the military during the first world war, and homage to the original structure that occupied the site. The building functioned as municipal offices, a fire hall and council chambers, and now serves the community as programming space for the library, Renewed Classics and office space. Its layout is a reminder of its use as a public space, especially with the presence of the Centennial Room, which still retains its original grandeur including original pressed tin ceilings. The building has had many uses since its construction, always to serve the community. The building remains a landmark in the Village of Lakefield and stands as a testament to its civic pride.


St. Martin's Parish Hall, Ennismore

Image of St. Martin's Parish in EnnismoreThe property at 507 Ennis Road in the hamlet of Ennismore, Ontario is worthy of designation under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act for its cultural heritage value or interest because it is part of an intact ecclesiastical landscape that speaks to both the influence and the historic role of the church in the everyday lives of citizens and to the importance of rural life in Ontario. As an intact Parish Hall it has strong ties to the community that it has served for over 100 years. It has brought together members of the community otherwise dispersed across a large area to create a sense of unity and mutual support. The Hall served as one of the first continuation schools erected in this part of Ontario and appears to be a rare example of a continuation school in a village setting. It remains both an important touchstone for the hundreds of students who spent many years in the school and a landmark in its rural setting. The structure relates to the surrounding buildings owned by the Roman Catholic Church in Ennismore that reinforce the Church's history as a major focal point in the area. St. Martin's Parish Hall has served as a cultural and historic centre of the community of Ennismore for more than a century and it contributed to the village's role as the hub in a rural, social and cultural network. Architecturally, the structure is of interest in its vernacular, eclectic interpretation of the Gothic Revival and Italianate styles.

Lakefield Post Office, Lakefield 

Former Lakefield Post OfficeThe property at 12 Queen Street in the Village of Lakefield is worthy of designation under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act for its cultural heritage value or interest as an example of early 20th century public architecture. The building, classical in style, with Italianate features, is typical of public buildings built during the tenure of Chief Architect, David Ewart. The building served as the Village post office for 60 years, from 1916 to 1976. The four-sided clock tower of the Former Post Office makes it the tallest building in the Village and a landmark of the downtown.

100th Anniversary and Heritage Designation of the Former Lakefield Post Office

A large crowd gathered on Saturday, August 9th to celebrate the 100th Anniversary and Heritage Designation of the Former Lakefield Post Office. Though this building currently serves as space for the Kawartha Chamber of Commerce and the Peterborough-Lakefield Community Police, you can still clearly see the old Post Office sign above the entrance.

Master of Ceremony, Sheryl Smith, Chair of the Munic...ipal Heritage Committee, introduced the many dignitaries present at the ceremony. County of Peterborough Warden J. Murray Jones, Township of Selwyn Mayor Mary Smith, Lakefield Ward Councillor Anita Locke and Smith Ward Councillor Sherry Senis spoke about the designation, the history and the heritage qualities of the building. It was evident from their words that preserving the heritage within the County and Township is important to the community as a whole and will continue to be in the future.