NEW 2016 Landfill Passes
Watch for your 2016 Landfill Site Pass in your interim tax bill. NEW this year you will receive two site passes. Keep them safe - a replacement pass will cost $10.00.
Remember that passes need to be presented each time you make a trip to the Landfill.
Hours of Operation
Hours of Operation
Winter Hours - November 1 to March 31
- Tuesday to Saturday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Summer Hours - April 1 to October 31
- Tuesday - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Wednesday - 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
- Thursday - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday - 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Saturday - 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Closed Good Friday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Year's Day
- Closed at 1:00 PM Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve
Note: The first Saturday in June is Free Large Item Drop Off Day with hours of 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
1480 County Road 18 - View Map
Township Residents are also permitted to use the Peterborough Waste Management Facility (Landfill Site). Visit the Peterborough Waste Management Facility Website for Location and Hours of Operation or more information.
No Scavenging is Permitted at the Landfill Site
Landfill site passes are provided to ratepayers in your tax billing package. Replacement Landfill site passes may be obtained from the Township office at 1310 Centre Line, Smith Ward.
Only Selwyn Township residents have use of the Landfill sites.
A special drop off day for large household items (fridges, stoves, etc.) is held annually on the first Saturday in June from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. only at the Landfill Site, 1480 County Road 18. There will be no tipping fees for these large household items.
Please Note: This event will not be advertised so please mark your calendars. Landlords please advise your tenants. You will need to present your landfill pass before being admitted to the site as this event is for Selwyn Township residents only. Regular tipping fees will apply for the following materials: Propane Tanks, Construction Debris, Commercial and solid Non-hazardous, Tires or Regular Household Garbage. It will be necessary for you to unload your own vehicle at the site!
*** Note regarding Mattresses and Box Springs ***
Mattresses and Box Springs are now banned from the Smith Landfill Site. Please take them to the Bensfort Road Landfill Site in Peterborough, located at 1260 Bensfort Road. There is a fee of $10.00 per unit for Recycling. Please do not take mattresses to the Pido Road HHW Depot. Thank you!
Landfill Site Fees - as of January 1, 2013
- Garbage weighing 50 kgs or less - $ 3.00 minimum charge
- Brush weighing 75 kgs or less - $3.00 minimum charge
- Loose Garbage, Non Recyclable Rubbish - $ 95.00 per tonne
- Major Appliances & Large Household Furnishings - $ 95.00 per tonne
- Compactor Garbage or Non Recyclable Rubbish - $ 95.00 per tonne
- Construction Debris - $ 95.00 per tonne
- Brush, Woodchips and Clean Lumber: $ 40.00 per tonne
- Bag Tags: issued by the Municipality - $ 2.00 each
- Appliances / Items containing Freon: $ 10.00 each. Note: This fee is in addition to the applicable tipping fee as set out above.
Landfill Site Fees - to come into effect March 1, 2016
- Leaf and yard waste weighing less than 100 Kg's No Charge
- Leaf and yard waste weighing more than 100 Kg's $45.00 per tonne Brush weighing - less than 50 Kg's $3.00 Minimum.
- Note: During the Peterborough County seasonal free curb side leaf and yard waste collection in built-up areas of the Township, residents disposing of leaf and yard at the Smith Landfill will also be able to dispose free of charge during these time frames regardless of the volumes being delivered.
- Brush weighing - more than 50 Kg's $95.00 per Tonne
- Vehicle Weights $10.00
- Landfill Site Card Replacement $10.00
Methods of Payment accepted at the Landfill Site