1480 County Road 18 - View Map
For information about the Landfill Site contact Public Works at 705-292-9507 ext 236.
Township Residents are also permitted to use the Peterborough Waste Management Facility (Landfill Site). Visit the Peterborough Waste Management Facility Websitefor Location and Hours of Operation or more information.
No Scavaging is Permitted at the Landfill Site
Hours of Operation
Note: Landfill is currently running on Winter Hours
Winter Hours - November 1 to March 31
- Tuesday to Saturday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- The first Saturday in June is Free Large Item Drop Off Day with hours of 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Summer Hours - April 1 to October 31
- Tuesday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday - 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Friday - 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday - 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Closed Good Friday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Years Day
- Closed at 1:00 P.M. Christmas Eve & New Years Eve
Tipping Fees - Defined by By-Law 2012 -082 - effective January 1, 2013
Volume or Type and Rate:
- Garbage weighing 50 kgs or less - $ 3.00 minimum charge
- Brush weighing 75 kgs or less - $3.00 minimum charge
- Loose Garbage, Non Recyclable Rubbish - $ 95.00 per tonne
- Major Appliances & Large Household Furnishings - $ 95.00 per tonne
- Compactor Garbage or Non Recyclable Rubbish - $ 95.00 per tonne
Construction Debris - $ 95.00 per tonne
Recyclable Construction Debris:
- All Untreated Wood Products
- Plaster & Drywall
- Bricks & Concrete
- Household Fixtures: Toilets, Sinks, Cupboards, Counters
Non- Recyclable Construction Debris
- Railroad Ties
- Pressure Treated Lumber
Brush, Woodchips and Clean Lumber: $ 40.00 per tonne
Bag Tags: Bag Tag issued by the Municipality - $ 2.00 each
Appliances / Items containing Freon: Appliance or items containing Freon - $ 10.00 each. Note: This fee is in addition to the applicable tipping fee as set out above.
Methods of Payment accepted at the Landfill Site
Landfill site passes are provided to ratepayers in your tax billing package. Replacement Landfill site passes may be obtained from the Township office at 1310 Centre Line, Smith Ward.
Only Selwyn Township residents have use of the Landfill sites.
Mattress and Box Spring Recycling Program - Effective September 2, 2014
Mattresses and Box Springs will no longer be accepted at the Smith Landfill as of September 2, 2014.
After this date, in order to be consistent with the changes being made to the recycling program at the Peterborough Waste Management Facility, mattresses and box springs must be taken to:
Peterborough Landfill - 1260 Bensfort Road, Peterborough
Tel: 705-742-7777 x 2150
Open Monday to Friday 8am to 4:45pm and Saturdays 8am to 3:45pm
Where they will then be recycled. Thank you!
A special drop off day for large household items (fridges, stoves, etc.) is held annually on the first Saturday in June from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. only at the Landfill Site, 1480 County Road 18. There will be no tipping fees for these large household items.
Please Note: This event will not be advertised so please mark your calenders. Landlords please advise your tenants. You will need to present your landfill pass before being admitted to the site as this event is for Selwyn Township residents only. Regular tipping fees will apply for the following materials: Propane Tanks, Construction Debris, Commercial and solid Non-hazardous, Tires or Regular Household Garbage. It will be neccessary for you to unload your own vehical at the site!
The Ennismore Landfill Site was closed on December 30th 2006. This site was closed due to capacity levels being reached. This site will now go through a complete closure plan as governed by the Ministry of the Environment.