Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Marriage Licence


The Township of Selwyn issues Marriage Licences from its Administration Offices at 1310 Centre Line, Smith Ward.

Office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Allow 20-30 minutes to complete a licence.

Please call 705-292-9507 to make an appointment and to ensure that the proper signing authority will be  present to sign the licence.

Marriage Licence Application Form - Or - Pick up an application form at the Township Clerk's Office (1310 Centre Line, Smith Ward).

What are the fees and hours for obtaining a marriage licence?

In the Township of Selwyn the fee for a Marriage Licence is $120.00.  

When should I purchase my licence?

The marriage licence is valid for three months from the date of issue, and it is recommended to get it one to two months before the ceremony. Thererfore, if any additional information is required, there will be time to deal with it.

Do both parties have to attend to obtain a marriage licence?

At least one of the parties to the marriage has to attend to obtain the licence. However, the application form must be signed by both parties. Both parties must complete and sign the application form.  One person can then obtain the licence if they bring in the appropriate identification, as indicated below, of the absent party. If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter.  The Interpreter must provide two pieces of identification.

What identification is required? 

Two pieces of identification are required for each applicant.  The first piece of identification  can be a birth certificate, a current passport, a record of Immigrant Landing or Canadian Citizenship card.  The second piece of identification must be a photo identification - driver's licence or health card.

What if I am under the age of 18 years?

You will require the consent of both of your parents. If only one parent has custody and sole support of the child, then the person having custody can give this consent. The consent form is obtained at the Township Clerk's office and must be sworn before a commissioner.

Are there any blood tests required?

No blood tests are required in Ontario.

What if I am divorced?

Anyone who is divorced must show a certified copy of the Certificate of Divorce or Certified Copy of the Decree Absolute (for more information visit

This document must be certified by the Canadian Court granting the divorce and not by an attorney. If the divorce was granted outside of Canada, a consent letter from the Registrar Generals Office in Thunder Bay is required before the Clerk's Office can issue a licence. Please call 705-292-9507 for further information.

What if I am a widow or widower?

There is no proof of death required.


*** Important Information ***

Marriage - Obtaining a Marriage Certificate in Ontario

ServiceOntario offers a resource entitled "Before You Get Married", and their website houses material to ensure accurate information is provided to couples.

It is important to ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally.  You need to check that the person performing your marriage ceremony is an authorized official. A list of Religious Officials Authorized to Solemnize Marriage can be found at:, or you may call ServiceOntario at 1-800-461-2156 for more information.