The Lakefield Library enjoys the longest history and originally started as the Mechanics Institute in 1891. In 1895, the library received its first Legislative Grant from the Ontario Government, becoming the Lakefield Public Library. A library has operated continually since that time in several different locations within the village including the main floor of Memorial Hall (1921), and the upper level of the Memorial Hall (1967), until finally moving to the current location in 1993 after a tremendous amount of planning, fundraising and community effort.

 

Follow the Lakefield Library Blog from Sept. 2020 to August 2021 to see regular posts celebrating the history of the Lakefield Library

 

phone iconContact Us