The County of Peterborough has partnered with the City of Peterborough and the City of Kawartha Lakes to produce the following educational video about contamination, and the impact that it has on the recycling industry.

Recycling is administered by the County of Peterborough and collected by Emterra Environmental.

Residents may call Emterra directly with missed collection concerns – Emterra’s # 705-742-3139.

Residents who have questions about the County Recycling Program can call the County at 705-775-2737 ext 0 or visit County of Peterborough Recycling and Garbage to find out more about this program.

Recycling in the County is easy!

  • Recyclable material must be separated from your garbage.

  • Residents are requested to use 2 blue boxes, one for containers and one for fibres (paper materials).

  • Please do not use bags as they can get stuck in the machinery!
  • Recycling is collected on all Private Roads.

  • Recycling bins can be purchased at the Township of Selwyn municipal office (1310 Centre Line) for $6.00 each.

The following material will not be collected:

Manufacturer's or industrial waste, any explosive, hazardous or highly combustible material; ashes, construction debris, sawdust and/or shavings; liquid waste, hay, straw and manure, leaves, grass clippings and brush; major appliances, large household furnishings; and tires.

Windy Day Rules for Recycling

Electronics Recycling

There is a WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) bin located at the Selwyn Township Landfill Site. A short list of acceptable materials is:

Computers including all peripherals and cords, computer tablets, laptops, all types of phones (corded, cordless, mobile, smart), answering machines, pagers, radios, speakers, turntables, TVs, VCRs, DVD players and Blu-ray players (no VCR tapes, CDs, DVDs); cameras (digital, manual and video), gaming devices and accessories (no game cartridges).

Gasoline powered or freon items are not permitted in the bin.

Please remember to wipe any drives, etc. prior to dropping off your materials.

Mattress and Box Spring Recycling Program

Mattresses and box springs are banned from the Smith Landfill site. Please take them to the Bensfort Road Landfill Site in Peterborough, located at 1260 Bensfort Road. There is a fee.

How to Prepare Your Batteries for Recycling

Before you store or recycle your household batteries, take a look at this handy preparation guide


Composters and kitchen catchers are available for County residents to purchase at the Peterborough County Public Works office (310 Armour Road, Monday - Friday 8:30am-4:30pm). Please call ahead to confirm price and availability.

Please visit the County of Peterborough website for more information.

Leaf and Yard Collection

Curbside Collection of leaf and yard materials takes place in the Spring and Fall for the areas of Bridgenorth, Ennismore (incl. Arnott & Gifford Dr.)

Please visit the County of Peterborough website for collection dates, to view detailed route maps and for more detailed information. Settlement area, Emerald Isle and Youngstown), Lakefield, Woodland Acres and Terraview Heights.

For residents outside of the these pick-up areas, leaf and yard waste can be dropped off at the Smith Landfill (1480 County Road 18) free-of-charge only during the Curbside Collection time frames.

Outside of the County's Leaf & Yard Waste Collection Areas

Leaf and Yard Collection

Here are some things you can do to use or divert your yard waste!

  • Mulch the leaves on your lawn to reintroduce nutrients into the soil, use the leaves for layering a backyard compost or for creating a no-dig garden bed. For more information, check out the GreenUP website.
  • Create your own Hugelkultur (and no that wasn't a sneeze!). A Hugelkultur is a no-dig raised bed, made out of decaying wood debris. Check it out! 
  • Chip your tree trimmings and use for mulch, landscaping, or compost... Or up-cycle for crafts and making furniture!
  • Avoid trimming all together and preserve the shade that tree canopies provide!

Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste

Municipal Hazardous or Special Waste (also called MHSW) does not belong in the garbage or blue box recycling, as it contains toxins that are harmful to human and environmental health. 

Hazardous waste can be taken to the Pido Road Hazardous Waste Depot - 400  Pido Road, Peterborough. 

Visit County of Peterborough website - or email to find out more about this program.

phone iconContact Us