Prior to Building Permit issuance it must be shown that you are in compliance with any other Agency that may have  jurisdiction with respect to the proposal. This could be any of the following:

Peterborough Public Health (PPH)

185 King Street,
Peterborough, Ontario
K9J 2R8
Tel: 743-1000
Toll Free: 1-877-743-0101 
Fax: 743-2897

Permits required for:

  • the number of bedrooms, bathrooms or kitchen facilities are being increased,
  • an addition of any type is more than 15 % of the existing floor area, 
  • a major renovation or change of occupancy is proposed  
  • when the municipality does not have sufficient information on an existing septic system 
  • if it appears that the construction of any building is closer than 5 ft. to a tank or 17 ft. to a weeping bed. 

Otonobee Region Conservation Authority (O.R.C.A.)

250 Milroy Drive ,  Peterborough
Tel: 745-5791
Fax: 743-7488

Permits required for:
  • Minor filling 
  • Minor construction - accessory buildings such as boathouse, garages 
  • Major Construction - dwellings, cottages, additions 
  • Basements, crawlspaces

Municipal Roads Department

Tel: 292-9507
Fax: 292-6491

County Roads Department

Tel:  775-2737

Ministry of Transportation

Tel: 1-800-554-0487

Trent Severn Waterways

Ashburnham Drive, Peterborough
Tel: 750-4900 
Fax: 742-9644

Permits required for:

  • Any 'in water' work (docks, boathouses, retaining walls) 
  • This refers to new construction  as well as repairs to existing facilities.  

Ministry of Natural Resources

Tel:  1-800-667-1940 or locally 755-2001

Permits required for:

  • for any docks over 140 sq. ft. in area 
  • any retaining wall construction


While M.N.R. does not require a permit for docks under 140 sq. ft. they still have jurisdiction. Concrete is not permitted to be placed in the water for new construction or repairs to existing facilities. Contact M.N.R. in respect to their jurisdiction.

Electrical Safety Authority

Tel: 1-800-305-7383

  •  6.5 ft. separation between main feeder hydro lines and any construction 
  •  5 ft. separation between secondary lines and construction  


New building and/or extensions to buildings must maintain a required setback from overhead and underground power lines and padmount transformers. Setbacks and minimum clearances are identified in safety regulations such as the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, the Ontario Building Code, and Hydro One Distribution Standards.

Ministry of the Environment - Well Information

Tel: 1-888-396-9355

Municipal Fire Department

Chief Gord Jopling - Tel: 292-7282

Other permits or approvals you should be aware of:

  • Electrical Safety Authority - Tel: 1-877-372-7233 Fax: 1-800-667-4278
  • Bell - Tel: 310-2355 
  • Enbridge Gas - Tel: 1-888-447-4911 
  • Hydro One - 1-888-664-9376
  • Ontario One Call - 1-800-400-2255
  • Curve Lake First Nation - Consultation and Accommodations Standards

phone iconContact Us