Emergency Preparedness

Selwyn Township has a Municipal Emergency Plan, which identifies community support systems and resources that are available to handle an emergency. The Township also has an Emergency Control group, consisting of key municipal staff, who receive regular training and conduct simulated emergencies to ensure preparedness in the event of a wide spread emergency.

For further information, please visit the Emergency Preparedness page.

Police Services
Call 9-1-1 ONLY in the event of an Emergency! 

An emergency is any serious medical problem, any type of fire, any life-threatening situation or a crime in progress.

If you call 9-1-1 in error, do not hang up, stay on the line and explain to the dispatcher that you do not have an emergency. If you hang up, the dispatcher will call back to confirm that there is no emergency. If you don't answer, a police officer will be dispatched to check on your wellbeing.

If you are reporting an incident that is not an emergency, visit our Compliments and Complaints Reporting Process page for a list of non-emergency contacts.

 OPP - Smith & Ennismore Wards

Peterborough County Detachment Location: 453 Lansdowne Street East, Peterborough

Tel: 705-742-0401


OPP Reporting a Crime

In the Selwyn Township Wards of Smith and Ennismore, residents now have the means to self-report minor incidents and crimes. The OPP's Citizen Self-Reporting page is an easy to use internet reporting tool that will allow the public to report specific crimes such as lost property, stolen license plates, theft from vehicles, driving complaints* and property damage without an officer having to be dispatched to the scene, provided there are no suspects, injuries or the incident is not an emergency. 

The use of this system is completely optional and Police will still attend a call for service, if desired. 

If an occurrence does not qualify for online reporting, call the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.



ROAD WATCH© is a community driven initiative in the OPP enforced Wards of Smith and Ennismore, whose mandate is to reduce automotive collisions and fatalities through awareness, education and enforcement of road safety.

Contact ROAD WATCH© to report any of the following:

  • Speeding
  • Driving in a Careless Manner
  • Disobeying Stop Signs
  • Disobeying Red Lights
  • Talking & Texting on a Mobile Device
  • Unsafe Lane Change
  • Tailgating
  • Road Rage
  • Failing to Stop for a School Bus
  • Following Too Close


 On-line Reporting
Please read the entire page before determining if the incident you wish to report qualifies for ROAD WATCH© on-line reporting.

If it does not meet all of the ROAD WATCH© reporting criteria below and it is not an emergency, please call the OPP Communications Centre at 1-888-310-1122.

Note: Filing a false police report is a criminal offence.

Processing the Citizen Report Form:
  • 1st Offence:
    • A letter sent and phone call made to the plate owner describing the incident, date and location of dangerous or aggressive driving.
    • A request made to registered owner or any driver of the vehicle to voluntary cooperate and drive in a responsible manner.
  • 2nd Offence:
    • Second letter sent from police with a the potential of personal visit from police officer to address problem.
  • 3rd Offence:
    • Third letter and a personal visit from police officer. Charges will be considered and police officer may monitor the vehicle's actions to allow for enforcement if action is repeated.


  • Submitted information remains confidential unless one chooses to pursue a detailed police investigation, as this may result in charges being laid and require a court appearance.
  • The Citizen Report form must be signed and information completed as much as possible to safeguard the system against abuse.
  • Any personal information is for statistical use only and is held in the strictest of confidence by the Police under the provision of the Freedom of Information Act.


Text 911 - Support for Hard of Hearing, Deaf and Speech Impairment 

The OPP supports the national launch of Text with 911 (T9-1-1) for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired (DHHSI). T9-1-1 enables emergency communication with OPP 9-1-1 call takers via text message.

Register for T9-1-1:

In order to use T9-1-1, members of the DHHSI community must register their cell phones with their wireless carrier in advance. Some older model phones may not be compatible. Those who have more than one cell phone will need to register each phone individually.

The T9-1-1 service is not intended for use by the general public. 

For more information on this initiative, visit the Canadian Wireless Telecommunication Association.

 Vulnerable Persons Registry (OPP)
The OPP, in partnership with MedicAlert provide service to assist vulnerable persons and/or caregivers of vulnerable people to voluntarily submit vital information to a database that can be accessed by dispatchers when requested by police officers. Visit MedicAlert Connect Protect website for eligibility or to register.
OPP Annual Reports & Strategic Plan

View Annual Reports or Strategic Plan.

 Peterborough Police Service - Lakefield Ward

Members of our community can access a wide range of police-related services online via the Peterborough Police website.


Report a Non-Emergency Crime

To report a non-emergency crime you can do so online.

Types of non-emergency crimes that can be reported via the Peterborough Police Service online system include: 

  • Theft under $5,000.00
  • Theft from vehicle
  • Fraud scams
  • Damage to vehicle
  • Damage to property
  • Lost property
 Vulnerable Persons Registry (Peterborough Police Service)
The Peterborough Police Service offers a Vulnerable Person Registry for families and caregivers of vulnerable persons. The confidential information provided is entered into a database that will be used by police and other emergency services during a crisis situation. 
Bicycle Licensing

This free service is meant to safeguard your bicycle and increase the chances of having your bicycle returned to you if it is lost or stolen. You can either register for a bicycle license in-person at one of our police stations (500 Water Street, Peterborough or 12 Queen Street, Lakefield) or online.

Request a Presentation

Officers are available to provide presentations on a variety of topics relating to crime and community safety. A sample of presentation topics include: 

  • Bullying & cyber bullying
  • Domestic violence
  • Driving safety
  • Home safety/crime prevention
  • Internet safety
  • Identity theft
  • Senior safety

Request a presentation

Request a HomeGuard Inspection
The Homeguard Inspection Program is a community-based crime prevention initiative of our Auxiliary officers.

Members of the Auxiliary Unit attend a person's home and conduct a free home security audit. They inspect windows, doors, and the exterior of the home. A written report is provided to the homeowner detailing potential improvements, for maximum safety.

Annual Reports & Business Plans
View Annual Reports & Business Plans
Smith-Ennismore Police Services Board
Visit the Smith-Ennismore Police Services Board page.
ATVs & Off-Road Vehicles

Prior to January 1, 2021

Prior to January 1, 2021, using an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV)/Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) on a municipal road was prohibited by the Highway Traffic Act. Municipalities could pass a By-law to allow ATV/ORVs on municipal roads. The Township did not have a By-law to permit ATV/ORVs on municipal roads.

As of January 1, 2021

As of January 1, 2021, the Highway Traffic Act changed and ATV/ORVs are permitted on certain highways, including municipal highways (i.e. they are now permitted by default). Currently ATV/ORVs are permitted on municipal roads. There are certain highway types where they cannot be used (certain Provincial Highways etc.) In general, ATV/ORVs can be used on Township roads.

Next Steps

Municipalities can pass a By-law to restrict/regulate ATV/ORVs on municipal roads. Currently, the County of Peterborough is reviewing ATV/ORVs as part of their Transportation Master Plan. Through that process, there may be some changes, at a future time, where ATV/ORVs may be restricted or regulated. Regulations could include establishing speed limits, restricting the time of day when an ATV/ORV can be operated, prohibiting use on certain roads, etc. 

As further information, snowmobiles are permitted on highway right-of-ways by the Highway Traffic Act, unless a specific By-law is passed to prohibit their use. In Selwyn Township, Lakefield is the only area where snowmobiles are prohibited on a municipal road.

ATV/ORV users will need to review Ontario Regulation 316/03: Operation of Off-Road Vehicles on Highways to understand the type of ATV/ORVs permitted in roadways and roads where ATV/ORVs are prohibited.

 Criminal Record Check

Criminal record checks and police checks are required for a variety of purposes including employment, adoption, international travel, volunteer work, citizenship, name change, student placement or to obtain a record suspension (formerly pardon).

  • Smith & Ennismore Ward Residents - contact the Peterborough County OPP
  • Lakefield Residents - contact the Peterborough Police Service

Peterborough County-City Paramedics (PCCP) provides emergency medical care to citizens and visitors of both Peterborough County and City; and are jointly funded by the County of Peterborough, City of Peterborough and the Province of Ontario through the Ministry of Health.

The PCCP Head office is located on Armour Road in the City of Peterborough, with additional bases located in Peterborough, Lakefield, Norwood, Apsley and a seasonal base in Buckhorn.

Fire Services
The Selwyn Township Fire Department consists of 5 Fire Halls and approximately 90 Volunteer firefighters (including 4 full-time staff) who respond to an average of 1150 emergency calls a year! 

Peterborough Regional Health Centre is our regional hospital, offering many programs and services.

phone iconContact Us