How to Apply for a Marriage Licence

**Please Note** 

Marriage Licences will only be issued from this office to those who reside within the County of Peterborough.

Identification Requirements:

Each person applying for the marriage licence must provide a passport or 2 pieces of government issued identification (ID) from the list below:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)

* Identification must be valid and original. Expired identification will not be accepted.

Re-Marrying after a Divorce

Divorced in Canada

You must submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of a:

    • Certificate of divorce

A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce.

Divorced Outside of Canada

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Office of the Registrar General for the province of Ontario needs to validate these documents and provide authorization in order for you to get a marriage licence.

Once you have received your Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Office of the Registrar General you can apply for a marriage licence.

Complete the Marriage Licence Application

Both parties must complete and sign the application form. However, only one person can attend and obtain the licence as long as they provide the appropriate identification, as indicated below, of the absent party.

Book an Appointment

Please call 705-292-9507 or email to book your marriage licence appointment. Walk-ins will not be accepted.

Attend your Appointment

  • At least one of the parties to the marriage has to attend to obtain the licence. Only the person(s) applying for the Marriage Licence may attend the appointment (unless you need assistance).
  • If you or your partner are sick (fever, cough, difficulty breathing, muscle aches), have travelled outside of Canada or come into contact with a person with COVID-19 do not attend your appointment. Contact the Township of Selwyn to reschedule.
  • Protect yourself and others by practising physical distancing.

The Township issues the marriage licences from the Township of Selwyn’s Municipal Office, located at 1310 Centre Line Selwyn, ON K9J 6X5.

What to Expect when you attend your Marriage Licence Appointment

When you arrive, please park in the lower parking lot and come to the come to the lower level entrance (Council Chambers entrance). You will be greeted by a staff person who will check all your documentation and complete a health screen before permitting you into the building. It will take approximately 15 minutes to process your application and issue the licence. The Township Office is not open to the public. Please arrive at your scheduled appointment time. Do not arrive early. We have scheduled your appointment to ensure applicants and staff can maintain physical distancing both in and outside the building.

Bring the following to your appointment:

  1. Completed application dated with original signatures.
  2. The 2 pieces of original and valid government issued ID each person submitted to apply for the Marriage Licence.
  3. Divorce documentation, if applicable.
  4. Please bring your own pen.


The cost of a marriage licence is $120.00 (HST does not apply).

We are only able to accept exact cash (we cannot make change) and cheque ONLY.

Please make cheques payable to the Township of Selwyn.

 *** Important Information ***

Marriage - Obtaining a Marriage Certificate in Ontario

ServiceOntario offers a resource entitled "Before You Get Married", and their website houses material to ensure accurate information is provided to couples.

It is important to ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally.  You need to check that the person performing your marriage ceremony is an authorized official. A list of Religious Officials Authorized to Solemnize Marriage can be found at:, or you may call ServiceOntario at 1-800-461-2156 for more information.

phone iconContact Us