The Public Works Department is responsible for a wide variety of services including road maintenance, snow plowing, landfill site operations and curbside garbage pick-up.

Garbage, Recycling & Composting
Smith Landfill Site
911 Signs

If your 911 sign, also known as your civic address sign, is damaged or stolen, please contact the Public Works Department at 705-292-9507 or by emailing

Please have the following information ready:

  1. The civic address number and street location,
  2. Whether or not the post needs to be replaced,
  3. Contact information, in case we need to get a hold of you.

We encourage you to have your sign replaced immediately as it is used by first responders in cases of emergency.


A Culvert is a tunnel located at the end of driveways (road allowances) and across some roads to carry water from one area to another keeping it off roads and off properties.

Property owners can ensure their culvert is draining properly by:

  • Clearing leaves and debris from the entrance to the culvert to ensure proper flow and drainage;
  • Not adding any decorative stones, plants, or shrubs around the area to prevent the same.
Half Loads
Half loads restrictions are applicable on all Township roads from March 1st to May 1st of every year. Time lines may be adjusted according to the road conditions.
Streetlights/Public Area Lights

If you notice that a street light or public area light is out, please contact the Public Works Department at 705-292-9507 ext. 236.

Road Sweeping

The Public Works Department sweeps over 300 km of Township roads as soon as the frost is out of the ground to free our roads of excess sand from the winter sanding. 

The amount of snow and frost will determine the start date for road sweeping.

The schedule for sweeping rotates every year, cycling between various areas of the municipality (ie. the first area swept one year may be the last area swept the following year). Areas are grouped in the following sections: Ennismore, Smith South, Smith North and Lakefield.

2021 Street sweeping began on Monday, March 22nd. This year's rotation follows this order: Lakefield, Ennismore, Bridgenorth, South Smith and North Smith. Please have patience & refrain from parking on the streets to improve the process.

Winter Parking

To assist in snow-clearing operations, refrain from parking on Township roads overnight to allow for safe and effective snow clearing during the winter months (ie. no overnight parking is permitted on Township roads during winter months).

Rural Mailboxes

The proper placement and maintenance of rural mailboxes ensures continued safe delivery of mail by Canada Post. Please consult with your local post office to ensure that all mailbox specifications and road safety criteria are met before installing a rural box.

Noxious Weeds

Weed Inspection is the responsibility of Peterborough County's Operations Division of the Infrastructure Services Department. Peterborough County's Weed Inspector provides interpretation and administration of the Weed Control Act and investigates reports of noxious or nuisance weeds on right-of-ways within the County or on agricultural land.

To report sightings of noxious weeds or nuisance weeds, contact the Selwyn Township Public Works Department at 705-292-9507 ext. 236 or email

The use of pesticides is regulated by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. If you have questions related to pesticide use please contact them at 1-800-565-4923 or click pesticide use.

Peterborough County Construction Projects
Contact Us

Public Works Department - 705-292-9507 ext. 236

Public Works (After Hours) Emergencies Only - 705-926-0205

phone iconContact Us