The Peterborough Humane Society has been contracted by Selwyn Township to provide animal control and pound services.

  • General Inquiries: 705-745-4722 ext. 200 or email
  • Animal Control: 705-745-4722 ext. 215 (for After Hours Emergency your call will be forwarded to an on-call service)
  • Spay/Neuter Clinic: 705-775-9034

Found a lost dog?

If you encounter a loose dog in your neighbourhood, you should first contain the dog and put a leash on it, if it is safe to do so.

If the owner has authorized the publication of their name and phone number, it will be displayed in our pet owner search.

Pet Owner Search

If you’re unable to find the pet’s owner, contact the Peterborough Humane Society at 705-745-4722 ext. 215 (for After Hours Emergency your call will be forwarded to an on-call service).

If the dog appears in the search but the owner has not authorized their information to appear, contact our office at 705-292-9507 and we can get in touch with them on your behalf.

Note: If you have not authorized the publication of your contact information, you will not appear in the search. If you would like to approve or remove your contact information or update the phone number that appears in the search, complete and submit the Lifetime Dog Licence Form

Lifetime Dog Licence

All dog owners within Selwyn Township are required to purchase a Lifetime Dog Licence. After purchasing their Lifetime Dog Licence, dog owners will be invoiced annually and will keep their existing Lifetime Dog Tag until the tag has been lost or requires replacement. All Lifetime Dog Licences expire on December 31 of each year.

Note: Selwyn Township requires proof of rabies immunization in order to issue a Lifetime Dog Licence. 

Lifetime Dog Licence Form 

This form is to be used for: 

  • apply for new lifetime dog tags
  • request a replacement tag
  • cancel a tag
  • change whether or not your information appears in the lost pet search / change your phone number
  • provide supporting documentation to change the fee for an existing tag

Residents can now apply for a new tag or pay your invoice online by signing up or signing in to Virtual Town Hall.


One-time Fee for microchipped, spayed/neutered dogs (proof required) $60.00
One-time Fee for microchipped, unaltered dogs (proof required) $100.00
Annual Fee for spayed/neutered dogs (proof required) $15.00 annually
Annual Fee for unaltered dogs $20.00 annually
Replacement Tags $10.00

All invoices will be billed at the $20.00 annual unaltered rate unless proof is provided.
Payments are due by March 31st each year. Late payments will include a $10.00 fee.
Fees will not be refunded or re-evaluated throughout the year. For example, if you pay the annual unaltered fee of $20.00 and your dog is then spayed/neutered, you will not receive a refund and the reduced fee will not apply until the following year.

Keep your information up to date

We'll make every attempt to locate an owner and return a lost dog to its home. To help us with this process, please ensure that all identification tags are kept up to date. Remember, a dog must be licensed and you will be considered liable.

Low-Cost Rabies Clinics

Provincial law requires that all cats and dogs over three months of age in Peterborough City and County must be vaccinated for rabies. Vaccinations protect pets from rabies and helps protect your family, if your pet is bitten by a rabid wild animal. 

Peterborough Public Health (PPH) holds low-cost rabies clinics throughout Peterborough County each year.

Kennel Operations

Kennels are permitted on properties zoned Agriculture (A) and Rural (RU), subject to compliance with Section 3.20 of the Zoning By-law. Anyone who has more than three dogs over the age of three months, at one location, must obtain a kennel licence. This does not include a veterinary clinic or hospital under the care of a licensed veterinarian. 

Apply for a kennel licence

Please contact the By-Law department to apply for a Kennel Licence.

Annual Kennel Fee $125.00

Stoop and Scoop

Selwyn Township enforces a Stoop and Scoop By-law. You must pick up after your dog when they go to the washroom on any property other than your own property. Failure to comply with dog regulations can result in a maximum fine of $5,000.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What pets need to be licensed?
All dogs must be licensed in Selwyn Township.
Why do I need a dog licence/tag? 
Current licensing and tags contain important owner information, which is used reunite dogs with their owners.
Where can I buy a license for my pet?
You can buy a dog licence in-person at the Selwyn Township Municipal Office (1310 Centre Line, Selwyn) or by signing up for or signing in to Virtual Town Hall.
Where can I call if I have lost my pet or found a lost pet? 

You can contact the Peterborough Humane Society at 705-745-4722 ext. 215 (for After Hours Emergency your call will be forwarded to an on-call service).

Posting notices on social media about your lost pet also helps. Ask your neighbours and others to help you look for a lost pet.

Where can I adopt a pet?

You can see animals that are now available for adoption at the:

  • Lakefield Animal Welfare Society by visiting their adoption page. They are located at 2887 Lakefield Road (County Road 29), Peterborough. 
  • Peterborough Humane Society, by visiting their adoption page. They are located at 385 Lansdowne St. E., Peterborough.
Who do I call to complain about a barking dog/stray animal/poop and scoop?
You can make a complaint by calling the Peterborough Humane Society's Animal Control Department at 705-745-4722 ext. 215 (for After Hours Emergency your call will be forwarded to an on-call service) or by emailing Complaints are confidential.
In the event of a Dog Bite or Attack, who do I call and what happens?

You can report a biting dog or attack by contacting the Peterborough Humane Society's Animal Control Department at 705-745-4722 ext. 215 (for After Hours Emergency your call will be forwarded to an on-call service) or by emailing If you require medical attention, please go immediately to Peterborough Regional Health Centre and report a dog bite.

What happens when a dog bite or attack occurs. Note: These are general timeframes as circumstance may vary.  

  • Police and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) may respond or person may need to seek medical attention;
  • If wounds are assessed and treated at a hospital or health care facility, the dog bite is logged through Peterborough Public Health (PPH) and PPH orders the dog to be placed in a 10 day quarantine. This is to make sure the animal in question does not have rabies (regardless of immunization); 
  • Incidents need to be reported to the Peterborough Humane Society (PHS) Animal Control Department at 705-745-4722 ext. 215 (for After Hours Emergency your call will be forwarded to an on-call service). PHS investigates the incident per the Township's Animal Control By-law and the Provincial Dog Owner Liability Act (DOLA). As part of the investigation: 
    • PHS may seize the dog and/or issue a muzzle order to implement immediate safety measures to protect the public. Depending on the incident, PHS may file charges under DOLA within 1 to 2 weeks from the date of the incident; 
      • Seizure of a dangerous/harmful dog is permitted under certain circumstances in the province when there is an immediate threat (e.g. dog owner not present), if a dog is being used as a weapon, dog has rabies and poses a community health risk, etc.
    • PHS will ensure that the dog(s) be licenced and have a dog tag. Municipalities, including Selwyn Township, have the authority to require that all dogs owned by residents/tenants in the municipality be licenced and have a dog tag. The purpose of the tag is to ensure that if the dog becomes lost, it can reunited with the owner.

Who do I call to report animal cruelty?
For cases of cruelty (such as abuse, neglect, abandonment and animal care issues) contact the Ontario Solicitor General's Animal Protection Unit at 1-833-9ANIMAL (1-833-926-4625).
Are there any off-leash dog parks in Selwyn Township?

No, there are not any off-leash dog parks in Selwyn Township. The closest off-leash dog park is located in the City of Peterborough. For information and location of the City's off-leash dog park, please visit the City's Off-Leash Dog Park page.

Who do I call if I have found a sick, injured or abandoned animal?

Injured stray dogs and cats can be reported to the Peterborough Humane Society's Animal Services Department at 705-745-4722 ext. 215 (for After Hours Emergency your call will be forwarded to an on-call service).

If you have found an injured or abandoned wild animal, please contact Ontario Wildlife Rescue.

phone iconContact Us