"What you Need to Know"

Before registering a complaint regarding a By-law or Property Standards matter, it is important to understand the rules surrounding various activities/By-laws:

 Open Air Burning
  • There is no open air burning during a Burn Ban - notice of a Burn Ban will be posted on the Selwyn Township website.
  • Fires must be supervised by an adult at all times, attended at all times and water must be available.
  • Fires must be fully extinguished.
  • Smoke cannot disrupt neighbouring properties.
  • No open air burning in ‘built-up’ areas including the Villages of Lakefield and Bridgenorth, Hamlets of Ennismore, Young’s Point and Woodland Acres.
  • In other areas, you can only have a fire if the container is located 100 feet (30 m) from a building, structure, etc.
  • Fire pits cannot exceed 2 feet (61 cm) in diameter.


  • Excessive noise disturbs your neighbours, particularly over waterbodies where the noise carries.
  • Noise from loud music, yelling, shouting or pets barking disturbs your neighbours – Be Respectful!
  • Be a good neighbour and remember you can be charged at any time of the day in the event you are creating noise that is disruptive to others.


  • Fireworks at individual properties can generate unwanted noise, and disturb pets and wild life.
  • Fireworks in built-up areas can be dangerous – why take a risk?
  • There are many public Fireworks displays. Watch these displays. They are free!


  • All pets must be under the care and control of the owners and they cannot roam at large onto other properties.
  • Keep pets on a leash or tether.
  • Stoop and Scoop, your pet’s waste is your responsibility.

Speeding/Careless Driving/Parking


  • All parking should occur entirely on your property (no parking on grass).
  • If you need to park on the road do not block your neighbour’s entrance, park on one-side of the road only and make sure the parking is temporary. The road is not a permanent parking solution.
  • Do not park where No Parking zones are designated.

Speeding/Careless Driving (emergency)

  • Residents that witness speeding/careless driving that is posing an immediate threat to the public are asked to contact 9-1-1.

Speeding/Careless Driving (non-emergency)

  • Residents can contact the Police directly to report a non-emergency incident:

Peterborough Police Service - Village of Lakefield
Tel: 705-876-1122
Peterborough County OPP - Smith & Ennismore Wards

Tel: 1-888-310-1122

Use the ROAD WATCH© Online Reporting Form to report a non-emergency incident, such as:

  • Speeding
  • Driving in a Careless Manner
  • Disobeying Stop Signs
  • Disobeying Red Lights
  • Talking & Texting on a Mobile Device
  • Unsafe Lane Change
  • Tailgating
  • Road Rage
  • Failing to Stop for a School Bus
  • Following Too Close

Property Standards

Sets out the minimum standards for building and property maintenance within the municipality and is intended to outline the reasonable maintenance and upkeep of yards, buildings and properties.

  • Grass is not to exceed 6 inches (15 cm) in height.
  • Garbage and recycling are to be properly contained in containers to avoid attracting nuisance animals and generating odour etc.
  • The Township has curbside garbage (2 bag limit) and recycling collection every week. It’s convenient and available. Use it!

We recommend you first speak directly with the property owner where you have an issue, in person or by telephone. Most complaints are received verbally this way and resolved promptly.

Water Safety

  • Be Water Smart – wear Personal Floatation Devices (PFDs) in a boat or for swimming.
  • Watch your wake – generally boats cannot exceed speeds of 10 km/hour within 30 m (100 feet) of shoreline to protect against shoreline erosion.
  • You cannot drive a boat if impaired – same rules for motor vehicles.
  • Watch for posted speed limits on the lakes and channels.
  • Police do have a Marine Patrol Unit.

Resources - Information Sheets & By-laws

phone iconContact Us