Flood Updates:

For current conditions, please visit:

2020 Water Level Maps:





Lower Buckhorn:


Stony Lake:




Melting snow and frozen ground create the perfect conditions for flooding. With mild temperatures and rain in the forecast, have you taken action to prevent damage to your home and property?

To report flooding, please contact ORCA's 24 Hour Flood Watch Hotline at
(705) 745-5791 ext. 228.

To report a life threatening flood emergency, contact 911

For residents in the Ennismore and Smith Wards, requiring an electrical disconnect, contact Hydro One at 1 (888) 664-9376. Lakefield residents should contact Peterborough Utilities Service Inc. at (705) 748-9300.

For gas appliances, metres or regulators that are submerged, please contact Enbridge Gas at 1 (888) 447-4911 to arrange for a gas shut-off.

Spring Thaw Information Sheet

Residents who live in flood susceptible areas are asked to take precautions to protect life and
property and to stay away from fast moving water.

To help mitigate flooding, Residents are reminded to:

  • secure or remove docks/structures close to the waterfront
  • store items that may be swept away in flood water to a higher location, e.g. lawn furniture, landscaping features, etc...
  • move articles in a basement to higher levels to prevent water damage
  • disconnect hydro if required
  • shut off a natural gas supply if required
  • treat wells according to direction from the Health Unit
  • Remove snow from around your foundation. Pay particular attention to the areas around window wells.
  • Most lots drain along the outside edges. Remove snow from these areas.
  • Keep the snow in your yard. Shoveling onto streets or lanes could block drains.
  • Clear snow and ice from around the bottom of your downspouts and extend the downspouts so that water drains away from your foundation.
  • Consider using sandbags to block water from entering low lying areas beside your foundation.
  • If water is getting close to your foundation, use an appropriate pump to drain it. Please use all equipment properly and follow safety guidelines.
  • Ensure your sump pump is in good working order.

Remember to never use propane or outdoor appliances indoors. Carbon Monoxide kills.

Rain Gardens and Other Ways to Use Your Stormwater at Home!

Example of a Rain Garden

There are a number of resources available to help homeowners better manage your stormwater at home! 

  • RAIN Community Solutions: this Green Communities Canada program has a number of really helpful user-friendly resources on rain-proofing residential and commercial properties.
  • Rain Gardens: incorporate a rain garden in your garden plans for this season and help manage stormwater on your property at the same time! Once completed, you can even add your rain garden to the GreenUP Peterborough map.
  • RAIN Master Rain Garden course: take an online course in Rain Garden Design! RAIN Community Solutions is pleased to announce the return of their Master Rain Garden course from April 20th-May 25th. Earn certification in this emerging eco-landscaping trend to boost your qualifications while in quarantine!
  • GreenUP's Sustainable Landscaping Guide: this document contains great information on sustainable landscaping practices, including rain gardens and flood and drought-resistance.
  • Rain Barrel Rebate: Peterborough Utilities Group (PUG) has partnered with GreenUP to offer rain barrel rebates to PUG customers.

Need inspiration? Take the Green Communities Canada Rain Garden Tour!



Sand is available at no cost at the Township Public Works Yard located at 1280 Centre Line for the purpose of filling personal sandbags. Please read the Sandbagging information sheet on how to fill and place sand bags. Please note that sand bags combined with tarps around window wells and doors are effective to keep water from entering a basement. People should not sandbag their property as it can trap water and create a worse flood issue. Bagged top soil is an effective sand bag tool as well. Most times, insurance will not cover damages from overland flooding so it can definitely be in a property owners best interest to invest in certain flood mitigation measures (particularly when flooding is an annual occurrence).

The Canadian Armed Forces (specifically 2 Combat Engineer Regiment) have posted a quick video on how to build a proper sandbag wall.

The Township of Selwyn would like to advise residents who are or may be experiencing flooding that food and water safety are important and provide the following guidelines.

Well Water Supply:

If your water... supply is from a private well which has been flooded, do not drink it as it may be contaminated by bacteria or parasites. To treat small quantities of water for drinking water, you may bring the water to a rapid rolling boil and boil for at least one minute before using it for drinking, making infant formula and juices, cooking, making ice, washing fruits and vegetables, and brushing teeth. Bottled water can be used as an alternative; or you may treat it with two drops of household bleach per one litre of water, stir well and allow water to stand for 30 minutes before using. After flood water has subsided, have water tested at the Public Health Laboratory.

Food Safety:

Without electrical power, a full upright or chest freezer will keep everything frozen for about two days. A half-full freezer will keep food frozen for one day. Keep the freezer door closed as much as possible. Any foods that are thawed should be thrown out, and if in doubt throw it out!
Without electrical power, a refrigerator will keep food cool for four to six hours. Adding ice can help keep a refrigerator cool. Dispose of all foods which have been above 4 C (40 F) for more than 2 hours.

Sewage Disposal:

Septic tanks in flooded areas should be used as little as possible until the disposal field has dried, and in certain instances, until the septic tank itself has been checked. Make sure eaves troughs and drainage are directed away from septic systems.

Electric Power:

In any area where immediate flooding is anticipated, it is essential to shut off all electrical power by turning off the main service switch. Do not enter a flooded area unless the electrical supply to that area has been shut off. If there is time, move as much electrical equipment as possible to floors or areas above the anticipated flood level. If the electricity shut off switch is in the flooded area, it should be shut off from outside of the building.
In Lakefield, contact the Peterborough Utility Services at (705) 748-6900 and in the remainder of the Township call Hydro One at 1-800-434-1235 to have it shut off.

Do not attempt to use or operate any electrical appliances until house wiring and equipment has been inspected and found safe.

Enbridge Gas Distribution Information:

Enbridge Gas Distribution advises that if gas appliances, meters or regulators are submerged, or if a resident smells natural gas or is aware of damage to natural gas equipment due to flooding debris they should call 1-866-763-5427 and Enbridge will send out a technician to turn off the natural gas supply to the premises. If electrically operated gas appliances, including those with power vents, or any other electrical equipment has been fully or partially submerged in water do not enter the flooded area due to shock hazard.

phone iconContact Us